Millennium Post

Traffic cop beaten; biker, pillions fall off flyover, 1 dead

Kolkata: A traffic sergeant was allegedly assaulted after he intercepted a bike with two riders, who were not wearing helmets. The incident happened on Sunday evening near Linton Post Office in Beniapukur.

According to sources, on Sunday, Year Mahammad Biswas, traffic sergeant of Park Circus traffic guard was on duty on CIT Road. Around 5:15 pm, he noticed a bike with two riders without helmets. When he instructed the bike rider to stop he allegedly drove the bike dangerously and managed to give Biswas a slip. Immediately, the sergeant chased the bike and intercepted it on Hati Bagan Road near Linton Post Office. When Biswas instructed the youth identified as Kartick Prasad Roy to produce his driving license, he allegedly started misbehaving with the sergeant.

Despite Biswas warned Prasad, he did not stop. On the contrary the youth on the pillion identified as Sebastian John Gomes allegedly pushed Biswas. When he tried to resist Prasad also assaulted him. Seeing a police officer getting assaulted local residents rushed to the spot and detained the duo. Immediately, Beniapukur police station was informed. Later, Biswas with minor injury on his hand was rushed to Calcutta National Medical College and Hospital and the duo was

arrested. Biswas was treated and discharged later.

In a separate incident, a youth died and two other were injured after a scooter lost control and fell off Garden Reach Flyover on Sunday night. According to police, the scooter rider identified as Md Arsalan (17) with two of his friends identified as Asif Ali and Md. Imtiaz on the pillion seat violated the traffic norms while they were driving on the Garden Reach flyover.

None of them were wearing helmets. Near Paharpur cooling tower Arsalan lost control and rammed in to the guard wall and fell down on the Paharpur Road from approximately from a height of 30 ft. Before the scooter went over the guard wall Ali and Imtiaz had fell off the flyover. The trio was rushed to SSKM Hospital where Arsalan was declared brought dead. Others were treated and discharged later.

Next Story
Share it