Millennium Post

Tension runs high at MR Bangur Hospital after patient dies of 'negligence'

Kolkata: Tension ran high at M R Bangur Hospital on Saturday morning after family members of one Biswanath Padia, who died of alleged medical negligence, went on rampage ransacking a portion of the hospital.
The victim's family members have alleged that the patient died as he was repeated denied admission by the hospital.
The patient died without a treatment, alleged the family members. The incident had triggered tension.
The hospital authorities ordered a probe into the death of the patient. A compliant has also been lodged by the victim's family members at the local police station against the hospital.
Irate mob damaged the furniture of the hospital. Police rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control. The victim, a resident of Charu Market area, who was suffering from high fever, fell on the floor of his house on Friday afternoon when he suffered serious head injuries.
The family members took the victim to the M R Bangur Hospital where the doctors denied admission to the patient as they said that the patient's injury was not serious in nature.
After primary investigation, the doctors also advised the family members to take the patient home and prescribed some medicines. It has been alleged that the hospital authorities also suggested to take the patient to the SSKM Hospital if the patient's condition further deteriorates during night.
The family members then took the injured patient to the SSKM Hospital. It was alleged that the SSKM Hospital authorities told the patient's relatives that he could not be admitted to the hospital as there was no bed available.
Having found no other option, the family members took the victim back home. As the patient's condition deteriorated at night, he was again brought to M R Bangur Hospital but he was allegedly not admitted and the patient was kept on a trolley at the emergency ward.
Despite repeated pleas, the doctors did not attend the patient as a result of which he died at around 7 am on Saturday.
The infuriated family members kept the body of the victim at the emergency department for hours and staged a demonstration. They ransacked the hospital premises. After being informed, the police rushed to the spot and dispersed the mob.
The family members claimed that the patient was suffering from dengue but it was not detected by the doctors. The family members claimed that they showed M R Bangur doctors a blood report of the victim that suggested that the patient was down with dengue but they were asked to bring the patient on the outdoor department on the next morning.
The police recovered the body and sent for post-mortem examination which could throw light on the actual cause of his death.
Next Story
Share it