Millennium Post

Suspected IS activist Musa attacks warder, attempts to slit his throat

Kolkata: The suspected IS activist Masiuddin, alias Musa attempted to murder a warder at Alipore Central Correctional Home on Sunday morning.
According to sources at the correctional home, the 25-year-old suspected IS activist attacked warder Gabinda Chandra Dey when the latter went to bring the activist out of his cell at around 6.30 am, like every other day.
Dey was admitted to a private hospital at Ekbalpore with injuries on his neck. An inmate, who also received injuries, was admitted to the hospital at the correctional home.
Usually, inmates are allowed to come out of their cells at 6.30 am every day. As a part of Dey's duty, he went to unlock Musa's cell. It has been learnt that the accused made provocative comments about the warder. Without creating any disturbance or reacting, Dey asked him to come out of the cell.
Musa was carrying a steel spoon that he had sharpened earlier. He attacked the warder with it and attempted to slit Dey's throat. His attempt failed when other warders and inmates rushed to the spot and saved Dey. Senior officers of the correctional home were informed and they rushed the injured warder to SSKM Hospital where he received preliminary treatment. Later, he was shifted to a private hospital at Ekbalpore.
During the jostle, another inmate, facing life imprisonment at the home, also received injuries. He is under the supervision of doctors in the hospital at the correctional home.
A probe has been initiated to ascertain the cause behind the IS activist's attack. They are also trying to determine how he managed
to acquire the spoon. The correctional home authorities have checked his cell to ascertain whether he had hidden anything else. Musa was arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) from Burdwan Station in Viswa Bharati Fast Passenger in July in 2016.
Musa, who is originally a resident of BDO Para at Labhpur in Birbhum, was arrested when he entered the state after three years to execute a terror attack. He had stayed in Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu for a few years before returning to Kolkata and getting arrested.
Later, National Investigation Agency (NIA) took him into their custody. It may be mentioned that the investigation disclosed that he was in touch with top IS leaders, including Safi Arma, through social networking sites and web-chats. He was also in regular contact with people in Syria and Afganistan.
Next Story
Share it