Millennium Post

Son lives with mother's body for more than 2 days

Kolkata: In what can be called a rerun of the Robinson Street incident, a person was found living with his dead mother for more than two days in an apartment in Karunamoyee Housing Estate in Salt Lake. According to locals, the elderly lady Ranjana Mukherjee (66) had died on Friday and her son Indrajit had been living with the body of his mother. It was only when the neighbours got foul smell on Sunday morning that the incident came to light.
The bizzare Robinson Street incident had taken place in the posh Theatre Road area of South Kolkata in 2015.
A 46-year-old software engineer, Partha De, spent months with the decomposed bodies of his elder sister and two pet dogs.
Sources said that Indrajit had called a taxi in the morning saying that his mother was ill and needs to be hospitalised. The driver went to the house and finding his mother dead, left the spot. After that, Indrajit went and informed Bidhannagar East Police station seeking their assistance for admitting his mother to the hospital. In the meantime, the locals found foul smell coming from the apartment and they too informed the police about the death.
"We have not seen the lady coming out of the house since Friday. Today (Sunday) we were attracted by a foul smell. The body has already decomposed. We feel that she died on Friday," Somnath Sen, a neighbour of the deceased said.
The family would not mix with anyone. Indrajit would leave in the morning and return in the evening and nobody knew what his occupation was.
"We have found some discrepancies in Indrajit's statement. He had claimed that no one in the neighbourhood had come to his help when he had called them on Saturday telling that his mother was sick. He may be mentally challenged," an officer of Bidhannagar East police station said.
"We have sent the body for post-mortem and have started an unnatural death case as there has not been any complaint," S Rajkumar, Deputy Commissioner (detective department) of Bidhannagar Commissionerate said.
Locals informed that the family was suffering from financial constraints following the death of the victim's husband Jayanta Mukherjee. Indrajit was unemployed and often spoke in an incoherent manner.
Next Story
Share it