Millennium Post

Situation heats up at Daribhit School again as family members of deceased students block gate

Situation heats up at Daribhit School again as family members of deceased students block gate

Kolkata: Tension broke out at Daribhit High School of Islampur in North Dinajpur again on Friday, which witnessed unprecedented violence in September this year, leading to the death of two students.

The family members of the two deceased students, along with some local residents, put up a block at the main gate of the school on Friday morning and later locked the gate, demanding a CBI investigation into the death of the duo.

As a result of this, the students who were supposed to sit for an examination, were seriously inconvenienced. The demonstration was later lifted following the intervention of senior school officials, who urged the agitators to lift the movement as otherwise the students would not be able to sit for the examination.

After being requested, the family members of the deceased duo lifted their sit-in demonstration and unlocked the main gate of the school. The examination was later conducted by the school authorities. However, the family members of the victims have threatened to continue the movement if the case is not handed over to CBI.

The family members said that after the death of the two students they had demanded a probe by the Central agency and they were assured that their demand would be met. Almost three months have passed but the case has not been handed over to CBI yet, alleged the family members of the deceased.

It may be mentioned here that two students - Rajesh Sarkar and Tapas Barman, were killed and many others including some policemen injured, when violence broke out at the school's premises in September over the appointment of teachers. A clash broke out inside the school campus after some students, allegedly backed by some outsiders, resorted to violence while protesting the recruitment of some teachers. They also attacked the police contingent that had rushed to the spot to bring the situation under control.

During the incident, the family members of the two deceased students allegedly ransacked a portion of the school, prompting the District Inspector of School and the sub-divisional officer to the spot.

The school reopened and started its operation on November 10 amidst controversy, as some of the local residents shouted slogans demanding the arrest of the headmaster and assistant headmaster of the school whom they held responsible for not doing enough to check the violence.

Team MP

Team MP

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it