Millennium Post

Ruby Hospital contractor hangs self over unpaid dues

Kolkata: The name of a senior official of Ruby General Hospital has come up for abetting the suicide of a 47-year-old contractor associated with the hospital.
The victim Dilip Routh (47), had been suffering from acute mental depression as his dues of over Rs 6 lakh were allegedly not paid by the hospital authorities. Unable to cope with the resulting financial duress, Routh hung himself from a ceiling fan on Tuesday, when his family members were away from home.
A resident of Gopal Nagar area under Sonarpur police station, Routh used to look after the furniture and painting work of the hospital. But due to some ailments, he was not able to visit the hospital to realise his dues.
His family members had been visiting the hospital, meeting senior officials and urging them to pay the amount. But the hospital authorities allegedly did not comply regarding the same. In the suicide note, the contractor had held the hospital's purchase manager responsible for his death, as he did not pay the due amount, despite repeated pleas from his family. Following this, the debt-ridden and depressed Routh took the drastic step, alleged his family members.
They also lodged a complaint against the hospital and the purchase manager in question, at Sonarpur police station. Police have also recovered the suicide note, where the victim had mentioned that the purchase manager did not clear his dues of Rs 6.5 lakh. He had also stated that tremendous mental depression had been haunting him due to financial constraints and this had prompted him to commit suicide.
Police said that the victim's wife and daughter had gone to the hospital on Tuesday afternoon, to talk to the accused purchase manager, urging him to make the payments. In the meantime, taking advantage of being alone in the house, the victim committed suicide by hanging himself from a ceiling fan. One of his neighbours found that their house was locked from the inside. Despite repeated knocks on the door, Routh did not open the door. He then called up the victim's daughter and police as well.
Later, his body was recovered by the police and the suicide note was seized. Police have started a probe on the basis of a specific complaint in this regard. The hospital authorities, however, denied the allegation and termed it as 'baseless'. They also claimed that the allegations were completely false.
Next Story
Share it