Millennium Post

Report sought over woman's death in Balurghat district hospital

BALURGHAT: Chief medical officer of health, South Dinajpur, Dr Sukumar Dey sought an explanation from Balurghat district hospital superintendent Tapan Kumar Biswas over the death of a pregnant woman, which allegedly occurred due to medical negligence.

Dr Dey has directed Biswas to submit a detailed report immediately after an enquiry.

According to a district hospital source, the incident took place at Balurghat super-specialty hospital on Monday. The victim, Basana Barman, (22) from Zadubati in Tapan was admitted to the hospital by her family members on Sunday under gynaecologist Dr Arup Dey. As there were complications, Dr Dey operated Barman instead going for a normal delivery.

Barman gave birth to a male child. After the baby was born her condition started deteriorating and she died on Monday. After her death, her family members alleged that she died because of medical negligence by the doctor and staffs. The newborn is still under treatment at the hospital.

Barman's husband Chiranjib said: "Doctor said my wife died due to cardiac failure. She was alright after the operation. Moreover, the doctor forced me to sign on a blank paper. Something wrong happened to my wife. We demand a proper enquiry."

Dr Dey rubbished the charges of medical negligence on his part. "She died of cardiac arrest. No one is responsible for her death," Dr Dey said.

District hospital superintendent Tapan Kumar Biswas said: "We have received a written complaint against him. We have started a probe."

The chief medical officer of health said: "I have asked for a report from the hospital superintendent. If anyone is found guilty he will be penalised."

A source from the hospital said a similar charge of medical negligence was raised against the hospital on April 30. Chumki Malo Choudhury (20) from Patiram died due

to alleged medical negligence. Her family members had

registered a written complaint with the hospital superintendent against the doctor and staged demonstration. The accused doctor had sought an apology.

Next Story
Share it