Millennium Post

Patients on whom organs were transplanted die

Kolkata: The two patients who were successfully operated with transplanted organs at the SSKM Hospital died at the hospital following a heart attack hours after the surgeries were conducted.
Madhumitra Biswas, a resident of Bankur's Bishnupur had been undergoing dialysis at the SSKM Hospital for the past one-and-half-year. Kidney transplantation was performed at the SSKM Hospital on Friday after it was donated by one Kalyani Sarkar. A 57-year-old Sarkar was declared brain dead at RN Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences (RTIICS) at Mukundapur. She suffered injuries after falling down in the bathroom of her residence on October 28. As she had a wish to donate her organs, her family members gave consent to the private hospital authorities to take necessary measures to donate organs.
The patient, a resident of Howrah's Santragachi was admitted to the private hospital with a Spontaneous Subarachnoid, Intracerebral and intraventricular hemorrhage. On 9th November, a team of Neurologists, Neurosurgeons and Intensivists from RTIICS, under the supervision of observers from the state Health department declared the patient brain dead.
As the family members agreed, the necessary procedures were followed. The entire process of declaration of brain death, counselling of relatives and appropriate dedication of organs to the different recipients were performed. One of the kidneys and the liver were dedicated to SSKM Hospital. The other kidney and the heart were dedicated to RTIICS. The Kolkata Police created a green corridor for the transfer of a kidney and liver to the SSKM Hospital where the kidney was transplanted on Biswas while the liver on Sachindranath Mitra who had been undergoing treatment at the SSKM Hospital. The Green Corridor was set up after the state Health department had given the final nod in this regard.
Despite efforts by the doctors at the hospitals, the receivers of organs did not survive. Within hours after the organs were transplanted on the patients they suffered heart attacks and later died. A senior official of the SSKM Hospital said that a medical board was set up for their treatment but the patients could not be saved.
Next Story
Share it