Millennium Post

One killed, two injured in crude bomb blast at Bhatpara

Kolkata: Despite repeated attempts by the police and Central Forces to maintain law and order in Bhatpara, the situation remains volatile. On Tuesday night, a blast took place while manufacturing crude bombs in the area, leaving one dead and two injured.

According to sources, late on Tuesday night local residents got panic stricken as the sound of a blast could be heard from a distance. Police personnel on patrolling duty also heard the noise and rushed to the spot. However, before police could reach the area, some unknown persons rushed three injured persons to Kamarhati Sagar Dutta Hospital and left.

Later, doctors declared one of them dead and admitted the other two with multiple injuries. Following the blast, police conducted a raid based on local intelligence. They nabbed five persons and seized a huge quantity of gunpowder and other materials used for manufacturing crude bombs.

Both Trinamool and BJP have pointed fingers at each other for creating such a situation in the area.

To maintain law and order, Central Forces and Barrackpore Police are trying their best to control the situation. Each and every road is being kept under strict vigilance and several police pickets have been set up across the Bhatpara constituency.

Patrolling with anti-riot police vans are continuing, as the situation is suspected to get heated up again during and after the counting process on Thursday.

According to police sources, the situation changed a bit on Wednesday morning as violence in some areas stopped after prolonged police intervention. Barrackpoe Police officials are conducting peace meetings in every area of Bhatpara, to stabilise the condition.

Sleuths have urged the residents of the area not to give importance to hoax information being spread with the intention to instigate violence. Joining hands with police, Central Forces are also patrolling the area to maintain peace.

On Tuesday morning, a blockade was put up at Kankinara railway station. According to eyewitnesses, when commuters were waiting for the blockade to be withdrawn, some miscreants reportedly hurled bombs and pelted stones, targeting the Naihati Local.

Passengers of the train got afraid and while they were hurrying to move to a safe place, some of them reportedly fell down and suffered minor injuries. At first, Government Railway Police (GRP) and Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel reached the spot to remove the blockade and ensure security of the passengers. Later, a case was lodged against unknown miscreants by the GRP. None could be arrested in this connection till Wednesday night.

Next Story
Share it