One killed, one injured as PWD inspection bungalow burns down to ashes in Lataguri
Kolkata: A person was burnt to death and another sustained serious burn injuries after a massive fire broke out at the Public Works Department (PWD) inspection bungalow at Lataguri in Malbazar, Jalpaiguri on the wee hours of Sunday. The whole bungalow was burnt down to ashes in the wake of the inferno.
According to sources, at around 3 am on Sunday, fire broke out at the PWD inspection bungalow located beside National Highway 31 in Lataguri. At that time, two employees of PWD identified as Dibakar Chakraborty and Subhadip Das (35) were in a room on the first floor of the bungalow.
Some staff of the bungalow noticed the fire and informed the fire brigade. As the bungalow was made out of wood, fire quickly spread all over the building.
During the incident, Chatterjee somehow managed to get out of the room with burn injuries but Das failed to get to a safe place. Soon, two fire tenders were pressed into action. After almost an hour, the fire was brought under control. Later, the firefighters recovered the charred body of Das.
Meanwhile, Chakraborty was rushed to Malbazar Super Specialty Hospital, where he is still undergoing treatment. Though police came to know about their names, it is not clear why they were staying in the bungalow. Both Das and Chakraborty were posted at Dinabandhu Mancha in Siliguri and were residents of Siliguri as well.
It is suspected that the fire might have occurred due to a short-circuit. Sources have informed that no fire management system was present in the bungalow.
The fire brigade will conduct a probe to ascertain the exact cause of the fire. Till Sunday night, no case has been initiated regarding the mishap. An Unnatural Death (UD) case has been lodged regarding the death of Das.