Top
Millennium Post

'Nurse who pushed injection to Oyetri did not have degree'

Kolkata: The nurse who had administered injection to Oyetri Dey, the minor who died of medical negligence at Mukundapur's AMRI Hospital last month, has no certificate which gives her the license to work in the hospital. The startling revelation came to light during the hearing of the case at the West Bengal Clinical Establishment Regulatory Commission on Friday.
Sources in the Commission said when the nurse was asked during the course of the hearing to provide the Commission with her registration number, she failed to do so and ultimately admitted before the panel that she is yet to receive her nursing degree. The entire proceedings were videographed.
It may be mentioned that the AMRI Hospital at Mukundapur had earlier submitted an affidavit at the Commission claiming that Sruti Pragya Priyadarshini, the nurse who had attended Oyetri was trained and equipped to handle such cases.
"We had been constantly saying that our daughter died of sheer medical negligence. The hearing at the Commission on Friday have raised serious doubts over the qualification of the nurse who gave injection to the child,'' the victim's mother Shampa Dey told reporters.
The Commission has directed the hospital authorities to submit an affidavit in this connection by Wednesday.
It was also revealed during the hearing at the Commission that the hospital had charged ventilation cost for 12 hours without actually putting the child on ventilator support system. The AMRI authorities have agreed to refund this amount to Oyetri's father Jayanta Dey.
It may be mentioned that the four-and-half-year-old who passed away at AMRI Hospital on January 17 leading to allegations of medical negligence, was given Augmentin injection — an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infection — shortly before her death. It could have been responsible for a sudden cardiac arrest only if the drug was administered without a skin test which is done to check allergic reactions.
"Those allergic to Augmentin may suffer a swelling in the larynx, choking the airways and leading to asphyxia. Petechial haemorrhage, on the other hand, could result from a disseminated intravascular coagulation, which is triggered by sepsis or an infection in the bloodstream. It could also occur as an aftermath of asphyxia," said a doctor of a leading government hospital.
A consultant at a city private hospital agreed and added: "It seems the child was given Augmentin for an upper respiratory tract infection. A skin test must have been done because that is the norm."

Next Story
Share it