Non-teaching staff of govt school held for molesting Class II girl
Kolkata: A non-teaching staff of a government-run primary school in Howrah, allegedly sexually abused a Class II girl and was later arrested by police on the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim's family members.
The development triggered angry protests by the girl's parents and other guardians of the school's students, who gathered outside Belur Primary Girls' School and also put up a roadblock on GT Road on Wednesday morning. This led to the disruption of traffic movement for few hours in the morning.
The accused, Susanta Das, was also beaten up by the guardians after the matter came to light. The girl was reluctant to go to school on Wednesday morning. When her family members asked her why she was unwilling to go to school, the girl reportedly broke down in tears and told her parents how she had been subjected to physical abuse by one of the non-teaching staff. The victim also told them that the accused had touched her inappropriately in repeated incidents.
The girl's family members, accompanied by other guardians, staged a demonstration inside the school campus, demanding immediate suspension of the acting headmistress of the school and stringent action against the accused.
A senior police officer said the parents of the Class II student have alleged that their daughter was abused by the non-teaching staff on a number of occasions.
Some of the guardians alleged that they had earlier lodged complaints with the school authorities against the accused, who had committed similar crimes in the past.
But the school authorities were sitting on their complaints and no steps had been taken against the accused. An irate mob also staged a protest demonstration in front of the acting headmistress. A huge contingent of police rushed to the spot to bring the situation under control.
They tried to convince the guardians that action would be taken against the accused.
Traffic movement was resumed after the roadblock was lifted. According to the police, a probe has been initiated in this regard. It may be mentioned here that the state Education department had asked all schools to implement fool-proof security measures on their campuses, to check such incidents. But Wednesday's incident has shown the lapses in the system.