Mathurapur businessman shot at, two goons die in crude bomb blast
Kolkata: A businessman at Mathurapur in South 24 parganas was shot at by some miscreants on Sunday night.
While fleeing the spot, two miscreants died after a crude bomb explosion took place on the spot. The bomb was reportedly carried by the accused persons.
According to sources, Ramzan Molla, a resident of Shibgunj at Lalpur in Mathurapur, ran a construction material business.
It is alleged that recently a miscreant identified as Nazrul Baidya demanded extortion money from him. But Molla had refused to pay him.
On Sunday night, when he was in his shop, five to six miscreants came on a bike and an auto rickshaw and fired two rounds aiming Molla. Molla's right hand was injured during the incident.
After firing, miscreants hurled a few bombs to trigger panic among local residents and tried to escape. But seeing Molla was shot at, some local residents gave the miscreants a chase. The miscreants riding the auto-rickshaw managed to escape but two of them who were on a bike lost control and skidded off the road.
As soon as they fell down from the bike an explosion took place. It was found that the duo were carrying a crude bomb with them. The bomb exploded on one of the miscreants hand.
They was rushed to Mathurapur hospital where they were declared brought dead. Molla was also admitted to the hospital with bullet injuries. Late on Sunday night, a team from Mathurapur police station went to the spot and started a probe.
On Monday, seven miscreants were arrested from different parts of South 24-Parganas in this connection.
Sources informed that all of them were notorious criminals. All of them were recently granted bail recently.
Meanwhile, a minor fire broke out at the dialysis ward of M R Bangur hospital on Monday night.
Around 7:30 pm, staff of the hospital noticed smoke coming out from a portion of the dialysis ward.
At that time, there were five patients admitted in the ward.
Immediately all of them were evacuated safely and fire brigade along with Jadavpur police station were informed. But before any fire tenders could reach the spot, fire was doused using the fire extinguishers around 7:45 pm. None was hurt in the incident. It is suspected that the fire broke out due to short circuit.