Millennium Post

Man who lived with skeleton of his sister found charred to death

The final chapter of Kolkata's 'House of Horror' was written on Tuesday with the death of Partha De. De who shook the entire nation with blood- curdling reports of him living with the skeletons of his sister and two dogs for six months was found dead inside the bathroom of his apartment on Watgunge Street.

The police recovered De's half-charred body along with half bottle of petrol and scattered matches on the floor. "He might have committed suicide by setting himself on fire," said police sources.

In June 2015, the shocking incident came to light after police found that 45-year-old Partha De was living with the skeleton of his sister Debjani and two dead dogs for several months at their residence on Robinson Street. Debjani had starved herself to death after suffering from a prolonged period of depression owing to the death of her two pet dogs. Following this, Partha was arrested and then sent to Pavlov Mental Hospital for treatment. "He also lived in a home run by the Missionaries of Charity for quite some time", a police official said.

On his possible suicide, Partha's neighbours informed the police that they did not hear any screaming but immediately alerted the cops after they saw smoke emanating from De's flat. Interestingly, De's father, Aurobindo De, had committed suicide on June 10, 2015, in a very similar manner. Aurobindo's charred body was recovered from the bathtub. This incident had uncovered the fact that Partha was living in the apartment with his sister's skeleton.

After the recovery of De's body, local police and officials from homicide department of detective rushed to the spot. "De was living in the flat for the past eight to ten months and he never interacted with anyone. He was suffering from chronic depression. Every evening he used to go out for a walk," said De's neighbours.

The body has been sent for autopsy and the police will conduct a detailed investigation.
Next Story
Share it