Millennium Post

Mamata calls up parents of child who died at Apollo

Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee called up the family members of a 4-month-old baby girl who died of allegedly medical negligence at the Apollo Gleneagles Hospital a few days ago assuring them that action would be taken against the accused who were responsible for the death of the baby.

Parents of four-month-old Kuheli Chakraborty on Friday visited the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) at Nabanna. They met the officials in the CMO seeking permission to meet Chief Minister. The CMO assured the victim's parents that they will be informed when the Chief Minister would meet them.

Kuheli died on Wednesday as the baby was allegedly administered anesthetic drugs after keeping her in empty stomach for a long time. She was admitted with bleeding intestine.

The family members of the victim alleged that the patient might have died of excessive dose of anesthetic drugs. The baby had been kept in empty stomach for two consecutive days as the doctors said that the colonoscopy would be conducted on the patient as she complained of bleeding in her intestine.

She was shifted to the hospital from Joka ESI Hospital. The family members of the baby lodged a complaint with the West Bengal Clinical Establishment Regulatory Commission (WBCERC) and also with the state Health department at the Swasthya Bhavan on Thursday following which theWBCERC has also directed the hospital authorities to submit a report in this connection within 72 hours.

It may also be mentioned that police have started a separate investigation into the death of the infant after the family members of the victim lodged a complaint at Phoolbagan police station last Wednesday against the hospital authorities.

On Saturday, the police have served a notice to the hospital authorities asking them to submit a detailed report to them on the treatment of the victim.

The hospital has been asked by the police to submit the report within 24 hours. It may be mentioned here that the newly-constituted WBCERC has also sought a detailed report of her treatment from the hospital authorities on Friday.
Next Story
Share it