Major fire at thermocol factory, 23 fire tenders pressed into action
A massive fire broke out at a thermocol manufacturing factory at Alampur area in Howrah on Thursday and at least 23 fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flame. None was reportedly injured in the incident.
The incident created a huge traffic jam on the Andul Road. The local residents spotted smoke billowing out of the factory when the employees of the factory fled from the spot to save their lives. A thick smoke soon covered the entire area. A few locals tried to enter the factory but failed as smoke made it almost impossible.
After being informed, police and fire brigade officials rushed to the spot. As the area is congested, the fire tenders faced difficulties in reaching the spot. Around 10 fire tenders were pressed into action initially who tried to restrict the fire from spreading. Around 13 more engines soon swung into action as the fire became devastating. The local people panicked after the incident and many were seen running away from the spot.
According to the preliminary investigation, the fire officials suspect that an electrical short circuit might have caused the fire. The investigation also suggests that a huge amount of inflammable materials were stored inside the factory that helped the fire to spread.
A senior fire department official said that the thermocol factory in Howrah's Andul Road caught fire at around 10.30 am. The fire spread quickly as plenty of inflammable materials were stocked in the factory premises. The fire tenders faced difficulty in reaching the spot as the factory is situated in a congested area.
Police and fire department officials are conducting a probe to ascertain if the factory had proper fire license or not. The probe has also been initiated to know whether proper firefighting equipment was installed in the factory or not. The owners of the factory would be interrogated in this connection.
Action would be taken against the factory owners if lapses are found on their part, a senior police officials in the district said. The local people, however, alleged that the factory was run without proper fire licenses.
Police and fire brigade started a detailed probe in this connection. The exact cause of the fire and the extent of the damage are yet to be ascertained.