Top
Millennium Post

'Leakage in LPG cylinder' led to fire at Oly Pub

Leakage in LPG cylinder led to fire at Oly Pub

Kolkata: A major fire broke out at Oly Pub in Park Street on Monday afternoon. Three fire tenders were sent to douse the flames, but only one tender was used.

In another incident, late on Sunday night, a massive fire broke out at the Ranihati fish market in Howrah. Four firemen were reportedly injured due to a LPG cylinder blast, which occurred during the firefighting operation.

According to sources, on Monday, around 5 pm, a fire broke out at the kitchen of the Oly Pub. Some staff of the restaurant saw the smoke in the kitchen and alerted others. Immediately all the customers were evacuated from the restaurant and staff members swung into action to control the fire. Meanwhile, fire brigade and Park Street police station were informed.

Three fire tenders were sent to Oly Pub but only one tender was operational as the intensity of fire was not much high. Rest two fire tenders were kept in reserve. Sources informed that the fire occurred due to leakage in the LPG cylinder. None was hurt in the incident.

On the other hand, around 1:30 am on Sunday night, a massive fire broke out at the Ranihati fish market near Sankrail. Within a few minutes, the whole area got covered in thick black smoke. Soon, some local residents informed the police and fire brigade. Local residents got panic-stricken as the fire started spreading fast. Three fire tenders were sent to douse the flames.

During the firefighting operation, a LPG cylinder exploded leaving four firefighters seriously injured. They have been admitted to the Howrah District Hospital.

The fire was controlled after almost three hours. Till then at least 20 shops were reduced to ashes. It is suspected that the fire had occurred due to a short circuit. It will also be checked whether the market authority had all the necessary permissions, including fire license. A probe is on to ascertain the damage and exact cause of fire.

Next Story
Share it