Millennium Post

Kin of dead toddler ransack Apollo crying negligence

Family members of a four-month-old girl who died at Apollo Gleneagles Hospital in Kolkata on Wednesday ransacked a portion of the hospital alleging negligence.

Meanwhile, the state Health department has ordered a probe into the death of the toddler. The private hospital authorities also formed a three-member committee to probe into the alleged negligence. The hospital authorities have, however, claimed that there was apparently no medical negligence and the infant had died following two cardiac arrests.

The incident triggered tension among the patients and their relatives in the hospital as a mob went on a rampage ransacking a portion of the hospital. The incident had also left the staff members of the hospital anxious. The agitation continued for nearly one-and-half hours before a huge contingent of police reached the spot and brought the situation under control. Family members of the victim lodged a complaint at Phoolbagan police station against the hospital authorities.

The four-month-old baby, Kuheli Chakraborty, a resident of Thakurpukur area was taken to Joka ESI Hospital following some ailments. She was shifted to the Apollo Gleneagles Hospital on April 17. It was learnt that the patient was bleeding in her intestine. The doctors decided to conduct colonoscopy on the patient on Tuesday. The family members of the victim alleged that she was not given food on April 17 for conducting colonoscopy. When the family members asked the hospital authorities why the baby was kept in empty stomach on Monday for nearly 12 hours but the test was not done that day, the hospital authorities told them that the anesthetic drug should be administered on the patient for getting the test done. The colonoscopy was done on the patient by applying anesthetic drugs but soon after, the family members on Wednesday morning were told that the baby has died.

The family members alleged that an overdose of anesthetic drugs could have led to the patient's death. Some of the family members went to Phoolbagan police station this morning and lodged a complaint against the hospital authorities. As the news of the baby's death spread, the relatives and neighbours reached the hospital and staged demonstration. The Incident turned violent when the mob started ransacking a portion of the hospital. Senior police officers rushed to the spot and pacified the mob. Following the tension, the hospital authorities decided to close the main gate of the hospital.

The hospital authorities, however, said that the baby suffered a cardiac arrest after she was administered anesthetic drugs. She was put on ventilation but the patient faced another cardiac arrest and she eventually died. There was no negligence on the part of the hospital, added the authorities. The doctors and nursing staff members of the hospital tried their best, officials of the hospital said. A three-member committee has been constituted to probe into the incident following the allegation of negligence. The state Health department is also carrying out a separate probe in this regard.
Next Story
Share it