Top
Millennium Post

Fire scare at Eden Gardens

Fire scare at Eden Gardens
X
A fire broke out in an air-conditioning machine in the Press Box at Eden Gardens just ahead of the Kolkata Knight Riders and Kings XI Punjab match on Thursday.

Sovan Chatterjee, the state Fire and Emergency Services minister, visited the spot soon after receiving the news and examined the entire situation.

Chatterjee said: "It is important whether the fire is a minor or a major one. We have to take steps accordingly to ensure safety and security of around 1 lakh people who are watching the match. I took DG Fire along with me to Eden Gardens and asked him to observe and find out what needed to be done to prevent any incidents of fire in the stadium in future."

He further added: "Protection of lakhs of people has to be ensured. The next match is on April 15. Thus, after proper recce of the stadium, our observation will be given to the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) to take up the job accordingly. Recommendation will be given to take up necessary work immediately and steps also have to be taken for permanent solutions to such problems."

According to an officer of the state fire and emergency department, the fire broke out in the ducts of a spilt air-conditioner in the Press Box at around 7.40 pm. Smoke started billowing out of the duct of the AC and there were electric sparks. It led to panic among the journalists who had gone there to cover the match.

Officers of the state fire and emergency services department sprayed dry chemical powder, which is used to extinguish flames. The fire was extinguished in 5 minutes.
Next Story
Share it