Fire breaks out in Kankulia slum, 1 dead
Kolkata: An elderly person was charred to death in a fire that broke out in a slum on Kankulia Road under Gariahat police station area on Wednesday night.
The deceased has been identified as Rabi Maity (63).Another person with burn injuries has been admitted to a local hospital.
It may be mentioned that the fire originated from a room inside the slum and the slum dwellers started to douse it by pouring water.
However, the fire spread rapidly as the shanties were made of inflammable materials. The elderly person was trapped inside the room and was charred completely. The fire services were informed. Two fire tenders were immediately pressed into service. The firemen took control of the situation and ensured that the fire did not spread further.
It is learnt that the victim was bed ridden due to a serious ailment for the last few months. So, he failed to come out of the room and remained trapped inside. "I left some time back after offering food to father. He was alone in the house and could not come out," the victim's son said. The neighbours tried to enter the room seeing it on fire but could not do so. One was injured in an attempt to save the elderly person. "We are yet to ascertain the cause of the fire. It may have originated from a gas cylinder leak. A forensic examination will be conducted.