Fire breaks out at under-construction building, none injured
KOLKATA: A fire broke out at an under-construction building in New Alipore on Thursday morning. However, no casualty or injury was reported.
Police said the fire broke out on the first floor of a 10-storeyed under-construction building when some wielding work was going on.
The security personnel of the building and local residents spotted smoke billowing out of the first floor at around 11.30 am. Soon, fire engulfed the first floor. Those who were working fled the spot.
The security personnel tried to douse the flames but failed to reach closer to the source of the fire as thick black smoke filled the area.
As they did not have any fire fighting mechanism, the fire soon spread to the adjacent rooms on the same floor.
Workers immediately informed the matter to the fire brigade. Five fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flames. The fire fighters restricted the fire from spreading to other floors of the building.
They broke open the windowpanes to release the black smoke that filled the room. Senior police officers reached the spot and evacuated the adjoining area.
The disaster management unit was also pressed into action to bring the situation under control.
According to preliminary investigation, the fire officials and police suspect that sparks generated from the wielding machine might have caused the fire. A huge quantity of plywood and woods were kept on the first floor where the fire took place.
The incident triggered panic among the locals as the building is situated in a congested area close to the New Alipore railway station with many residential buildings around. The fire fighters acted on a war footing to douse the flames. The situation was brought under control within two hours. A detailed probe has been initiated in this regard.