Fire breaks out at Tiljala, Narkeldanga godowns
Kolkata: Two incidents of fire took place in the city on Sunday.
It was around 3.30 am on Sunday, a fire broke out inside a godown packed with goods made out of rubber at Tiljala. Five fire tenders were pressed into service and fire fighters took a few hours to douse the flames.
The exact reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained and the total extend of damage is also yet to be figured.
According to an officer of the state Fire and Emergency Services department, locals saw the smoke and informed the fire fighters. They initiated the work to douse the flames and the fire fighters reached the spot within a short span of time and took all necessary steps to extinguish the fire as early as possible. The fire spread fast as the godown was packed with inflammable goods.
Fire fighters also took necessary steps to ensure that the fire do not spread to adjacent structures. The incident led to panic among people in the area but the fire fighters have managed to bring the situation under control within 2 hours.
In another incident of fire, a godown that was packed with clothes at Narkeldaga was gutted. Three fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the flames.
Though the exact reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, officers of the state Fire and Emergency Services department suspect that an electric short circuit led to the incident.