Fire breaks out at multi-storeyed building on AJC Bose Road
Kolkata: A fire broke out at a multi-storeyed building on AJC Bose road near Mullick Bazar on Wednesday afternoon triggering panic in the area.
The fire took place on the third floor of the building, where spare parts of vehicles were stored. No casualty or injury has been reported in the incident so far.
Locals spotted smoke billowing out of the building at around 12 pm and reported the matter to the fire brigade.
The area was soon covered in black smoke and people started running from one place to the other for shelter.
Some people, who were in the other floor of the building, panicked and left
the building. After being informed, the fire brigade officials rushed to the spot and as many as ten fire-tenders were pressed into action to douse the flames. Police cordoned off the entire area to check any untoward incidents.
Moulali bound vehicles were diverted due to fire incident. There was a huge traffic jam in the area. The situation became normal a couple of hours later. Locals also took part in the rescue operation. They rescued the people who were inside the building and removed them to prevent any accident.
They initially tried to restrict the fire from spreading to other rooms. The fire fighters later restricted the fire from spreading into the adjacent buildings.
The situation was brought under control within one hour.
According to a preliminary investigation, police and fire officials suspect that some inflammable materials might have been stored which aggravated the situation. The exact cause of the fire and the extent of the damage are yet to be ascertained.
A detailed probe has been initiated in this regard.