Top
Millennium Post

Fire breaks out at garment showroom in Park Street

Kolkata: A major fire broke out at a garments showroom in Park Street late on Wednesday night. Though no one was injured, it is suspected that there has been significant loss of property.

According to sources, on Wednesday night at around 1:05 am, occupants of other buildings adjacent to 48A, Park Street saw smoke coming out of the second floor of the building.

Soon, the police and fire brigade were informed. Meanwhile, local residents alerted the occupants of the building and carried out evacuation.

Three fire tenders arrived at the spot soon and firefighters started spraying water. However, they felt that the intensity of the fire was increasing and subsequently, more fire tenders were called in.

Four more fire tenders joined the operation within a few minutes. As the area was almost 3,000 square feet in size and filled with garments, the blaze turned huge within a short span. Firefighters had to use elevated ladders to break the window panes open to let the smoke out.

On the wee hours of Thursday, the fire was finally brought under control and was completely doused at around 8:20 am. It is suspected that the fire might have occurred due to a short-circuit.

Though the showroom was equipped with an automatic firefighting system, it is suspected that it failed to work properly. However, the exact cause of fire and extent of damage are yet to be ascertained.

Next Story
Share it