Fire breaks out at factory in N 24-Pgs, no casualty reported
Kolkata: A major fire broke out at a plastic goods factory near Ghola in North 24-Parganas on Sunday morning. As the factory was filled with inflammable materials the fire took a devastating shape.
About 25 fire tenders were pressed into action. According to local residents, the fire was brought under control around 9 pm on Sunday, but fire fighters could not enter the factory as some of parts of the unit were still ablaze. Also due to the heat, getting inside the factory was impossible till Sunday night.
Around 11:30 am on Sunday, thick black smoke was seen coming out of the factory. Due to panic staff and labours rushed out of the factory. Later, it was found that some of the labours were trapped inside. The New Barrackpore police station and fire brigade were informed. Primarily 10 fire tenders were pressed in to action. But soon fire fighters realised that the fire is spreading fast. Immediately more fire tenders were requested. By 2 pm, 15 more fire tenders were sent.
As the fire already took a devastating shape, fire fighters had no other way than to spray water from a safe distance. Upon receiving the news, fire minister Sujit Bose rushed to the spot.
According to the fire fighters, as inflammable materials were on fire, the unit would be ablaze till these materials melt. Thus the fire fighters had targeted to prevent the fire from spreading fast. Around 9 pm fire was brought under control but fire fighters could not enter the factory due to the heat.
Fire fighters are continuously spraying waters to douse the flames. As the building got seriously damaged due to the fire, it is feared that it may collapse anytime. It is suspected that an electrical short-circuit might had triggered the fire. Till Sunday night no one was found dead or alive in the factory as none could enter the premises. According to fire fighters if anyone is trapped inside, chance of survival is nil.