Top
Millennium Post

EC orders removal of 6 Central Force jawans posted as Arjun's bodyguards

EC orders removal of 6 Central Force jawans posted as Arjuns bodyguards

Kolkata: The Election Commission on Sunday ordered the removal of 6 Central Force jawans, who had been deputed as bodyguards of BJP candidate Arjun Singh, who is contesting the elections from Barrackpore Lok Sabha constituency. The decision comes in the wake of the scuffle at Halishahar between Singh and the police.

A TMC party office was ransacked at Halishahar on Sunday. Blaming BJP for the same, Trinamool leaders subsequently alleged that Singh was using the Central Force jawans to impose his will in the area.

Meanwhile, on his way to attend a meeting with Special Police Observer Vivek Dubey at the District Magistrate's office in Barasat, Singh said that he will conduct an 'operation' on May 6 when Barrackpore will go to polls.

"I conduct various types of operation during every election. Tomorrow I will also conduct a new one as well," Singh said, in an apparent jab at the Opposition.

Additional CEO Sanjay Basu said that a report has been sought from the district election office on Singh's statement. The Commission will examine the statement soon.

Dinesh Trivedi, who is contesting from Barrackpore on TMC's ticket, relied on the administration to counter any such 'operation' conducted by his rival. Trivedi also attended the meeting convened by the Special Police Observer.

"The administration is there to take care of any 'operation' he (Singh) was talking about. I don't want to comment on his statement," Trivedi said.

Next Story
Share it