Columbia Asia infuses patient with blood of different group

Columbia Asia infuses patient with blood of different group

Kolkata: The family members of a 31-year-old woman, who was allegedly infused wrong blood at Columbia Asia Hospital in Salt Lake, lodged a complaint with the state Health department against the hospital authorities.

They have also written to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee urging her to take stringent action against the hospital authorities for such a glaring medical negligence.

It was alleged that the woman, identified as Baishakhi Saha, had suffered multi-organ failure after the staff members of the hospital gave her wrong blood. The patient has been put on ventilator since the incident took place.

The hospital authorities have claimed to have formed a team to investigate into the matter. Following the incident, the family members of the victim woman lodged a complaint with the senior officials at Swasthya Bhavan.

A senior police officer of Bidhannagar said the victim's family members registered a compliant with the health department. They are probing if there was any negligence on the part of the hospital.

The family members of the woman alleged that she was given blood of AB+ group while her actual blood group is A+.

The victim's husband Abhijit Saha said the patient underwent a surgery at Columbia Asia Hospital.

He alleged that she was infused with blood of wrong group during the surgery and this resulted in the damage of her lungs and kidneys. He also accused the hospital administration of threatening the victim's family by stopping the treatment if they refuse to pay the bills. The husband also claimed that he had already paid Rs 2.5 lakh for the treatment.

Saha said he asked nurses about the blood group they had infused into the patient's body. The nurses then told him that the patient was infused with AB+ blood while she belongs to A+. The husband told them that they had given her wrong blood. The nurses kept arguing that it was done as per the serology report.

He also said that the patient's body started reacting within a few hours after the blood was infused.

The hospital said the patient had developed a complication following the blood transfusion, which has been aggressively treated by a team of specialists.

The patient has shown gradual improvement and is likely to be weaned off the ventilator in the next 24 hours, a statement from the hospital said.

A senior official of the hospital said the hospital administration has formed a team to investigate into the allegation of medical negligence. The patient is better now but she is still under observation.

Team MP

Team MP

Our Contributor help bring you the latest article around you


View All

Latest News

View All
Share it