Top
Millennium Post

CMCH performs rare surgery on 12-year-old boy

Kolkata: In a critical surgery, the doctors at Calcutta Medical College and Hospital has given a fresh lease of life to a 12-year-old boy from Howrah who swallowed a whistle ball while playing it.
The whistle ball slipped and got stuck in his wind pipe resulting in serious respiratory distress and vomiting. The victim, Seikh Sahil (12), a resident of Jagatballavpur in Howrah was blowing the whistle during a football match in the area on Friday evening.
Sahil was complaining of severe respiratory problems and was rushed to Jagatballavpur Gramin Hospital. The doctors at the hospital tried to remove the ball but failed to do so. As his condition deteriorated, the doctors told the family members of the victim to shift the patient to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital as they thought the patient might die if there was a delay in his treatment. The patient was finally taken to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital (CMCH) at around 3 am on Friday.
The ENT department of the CMCH examined the patient and performed an X-ray.
The report showed that the ball remained stuck inside his wind pipe. The doctors said that a whistling sound was coming as the patient was breathing. The doctors managed to remove the ball of the whistle through a bronchoscopy. It was not easy to remove the whistle ball as it was stuck in a critical position inside the wind pipe. A team of doctors finally performed the surgery and removed the ball giving a new life to the boy. The patient has been doing fine and he would be released soon.
Next Story
Share it