Top
Millennium Post

Circus tent catches fire in Howrah; birds die, dogs hurt

Kolkata: A fire broke out at a circus tent in Howrah on the wee hours of Monday. Two birds reportedly died in the fire and some dogs suffered burn injuries.

According to sources, a circus party had set up a tent at Salap in Howrah.

Around 3:30 am, a few persons from the circus party noticed flames on the top of the tent. As it was beyond their reach, they failed to do anything. The fire quickly spread all over the tent.

Meanwhile, members of the circus team evacuated the tent. Though they were able to save themselves and some animals, two birds died as a portion of tent cloth that had caught fire fell on the cage.

Some dogs suffered minor burn injuries. As the tent was full of inflammable materials, it quickly attracted fire and the tent burnt into ashes within an hour.

Within a few minutes, police and fire brigade were informed. Five fire tenders doused the flames within one-and-a-half-hour.

Though fire brigade officials suspect that the fire broke out due to short circuit, members of the circus team denied such allegations.

According to the authorities of the circus party, the tent caught flames during fireworks. On Sunday night, a programme going on close to the tent.

People were bursting crackers at the event. If the short circuit had occurred, then fire would have broken out from the ground. But in this case flames were seen at the tent. Police have started a probe in this connection.

Next Story
Share it