Bar Association lifts ceasework in Calcutta HC
Kolkata: The Bar Association of the Calcutta High Court on Saturday lifted its two-month-long ceasework following the Centre's notification to appoint four more judges and a permanent chief justice, an official said.
The lawyers will resume work in the high court from Monday, Bar Association President Uttam Majumder said at a press conference here.
The ceasework at the high court, which had 2.22 lakh cases pending before it at the end of January, had commenced on February 19 to press for the appointment of more judges and a chief justice for the high court which had been headed by acting chief justices for over three years with the exception of only three months. The Bar Association, which commands the support of majority of the lawyers, said the decision to lift the ceasework was taken unanimously in consultation with other striking lawyers' bodies.
"Today (Saturday) we got the notification from the Centre about the appointment of four new judges who will take over from next week. The high court will also have a permanent chief justice from next week. In the wake of these developments, we are lifting the ceasework," Majumder said.
He said three judges had been appointed by the Centre in March and with four new appointments on Saturday, the high court now has 37 judges which is a little over 50 percent of the sanctioned strength of 72 judges. To a question about the Bar Association's earlier decision that the ceasework will continue till May 11,
Majumder said: "We had asserted that the ceasework will automatically stand withdrawn if the appointment of new judges is notified in the meantime."