Millennium Post

Baby, grandmother found dead, one held

Kolkata: South 24 Parganas police on Tuesday recovered the body of 22-day old baby girl from a banana garden who remained absconding since Monday. The girl's maternal grandmother was found dead near a pond in Baruipur.
After starting an investigation, police arrested the baby's mother Murshida Bibi on Monday who in the face of police interrogation admitted to her crime.
She also told the police that baby had been dumped in a banana garden after carrying out her murder.
Police said that one Azizul Mollah had been residing at his residence at Uttarbga area of Baruipur along with his wife Murshida Bibi and her mother. Murshida gave birth to a baby girl 22 days ago. Azizul returned home from his day's work on Monday evening and found the door locked from outside. He also found that there were blood stains in the courtyard.
He carried out a search in surrounding areas but failed to find any trace of his family members. Azizul peeped through the window and found that room was empty. He informed the local residents about the incident, following which, the villagers started a thorough search in the area. They finally found the body of the elderly woman from near a pond. There were injury marks on her head. After being informed police rushed to the spot and recovered the body and sent it for the post-mortem. Police also recovered a sharp weapon from near
the pond.
Police later interrogated Azizul's wife Murshida as they found some incoherence in her statements. Following prolonged interrogation, Murshida admitted that she had carried out the murder of her 22-day-old daughter and her mother. She also told the police that the baby's body was dumped in a banana garden close to the pond where accused mother's body was found. According to the police the accused had been suffering from behavioural disorder.
The incident triggered tension in the locality on Tuesday with the local residents staging protest demonstration on the Baruipur-Canning road.
They also blocked the road for nearly two hours till the senior district police officers reached the spot and brought the situation under control. The agitation was lifted after the police officers assured the villagers that stringent action would be taken against the accused.
A senior district police officer said that the accused has been suffering from behavioural disorders and had a history of violent behaviour.
She also attempted suicide in the past. She killed her mother following an altercation and then strangulated
her daughter.
Next Story
Share it