Millennium Post

AMRI negligence: Unit head suspended

Kolkata: A couple of days after a two-and-half-year-old girl died of alleged medical negligence at AMRI Hospital in Mukundapur, the authorities on Friday suspended the unit head who had misbehaved with the deceased's family members and ordered a separate probe into the incident.
Following continuous pressure from the family members of the victim, Oyetri Dey, the hospital authorities finally suspended unit head Jayanti Chattopadhyay till she proves her innocence and also formed a six-member committee to probe into the alleged negligence.
The incident occurred few hours after Shampa Dey, the victim's mother, threatened to go on a hunger strike for an indefinite period on Friday morning. She said that she would start a hunger strike unless the CEO of the hospital and the controversial unit head are removed from their posts within two days.
Within few hours, the hospital authorities on Friday afternoon suspended the unit head. Dey also demanded that Rupak Barua, the CEO of the hospital, must tender his resignation within two days or he should be removed from his post. She also added that her husband would also join her in the hunger strike.
Meanwhile, the family members of the victim on Friday met the senior officials of the West Bengal Medical Council (WBMC) urging them to conduct a probe against the doctor whose negligence led to the death of their daughter. They lodged a complaint with the West Bengal Clinical Establishment Regulatory Commission (WBCERC) on Thursday as well following the intervention of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee whom they had met at her residence on Thursday.
After meeting the officials of the WBMC, the minor's mother said: "The mothers who want to help us, please join us to strengthen the movement against the hospital. We want the hospital to be closed down. We also urge the people who are moved by the incident to join our indefinite hunger strike."
Action needs to be taken against the hospital so that children do not die like this. The hospital authorities cannot run their business after what they have done to my daughter," the victim's mother told the reporters.
Oyetri, a resident of Kamalgazi area in the southern fringes of the city was taken to AMRI Mukundupur last Sunday as she was suffering from high fever. She died at the hospital on Wednesday. Her parents alleged that she had become a victim of glaring medical negligence. It was also alleged that she was not given oxygen when she was in dire need of it. The doctor was also accused of administering a wrong injection to the patient.
Jayanta Dey, the victim's father later lodged a complaint with Purva Jadavpur police station following which police have started a probe.
Next Story
Share it