Top
Millennium Post

60-year-old man killed in Lebubagan shanty fire

60-year-old man killed in Lebubagan shanty fire
X
Kolkata: A 60-year-old man was killed in a fire that broke out in a shanty at Lebubagan area of Baranagar in North 24 Parganas on Sunday morning.
Some other inmates of the shanties have been reportedly injured in the fire that took place at 145, Gopal Lal Thakur road. Four fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flame.
The deceased has been identified as Bangshi Charan Das (60), a resident of a shanty was trapped inside the fire that soon engulfed the entire area. The incident triggered tension among the local residents who started running helter skelter from one place to the other. The fire officials faced difficulties to reach the spot as it is situated at a densely congested area.
The local people spotted smoke billowing out of the shanties at around 2 pm and informed the fire brigade. The fire soon spread to the other parts of the shanty. The local residents had taken part in the rescue operation before the fire tenders reached the spot. The locals rescued many elderly people who were trapped inside the shanties. They also faced difficulties in carrying out the rescue operation as thick black smoke was blurring their visibility.
Police said that around 12-14 families used to live in the shanties. According to the local sources, at least four persons sustained burn injuries and were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. Bangshi, who got trapped inside his house was later rescued by the fire officials. He died after being taken to the hospital.
After reaching the spot, the fire officials tried to restrict the fire from spreading. Police reached the spot immediately after the incident and cordoned off the entire area. The traffic movement in the adjoining areas was also restricted. The fire personnel carried out a thorough search and rescued some of the inmates who were still trapped inside their houses. They brought the fire under control after nearly two hours. According to the preliminary investigation, police and fire officials suspect that the fire took place following the bursting of a gas cylinder. The local people also told the police that they heard a loud thud which might have been caused due to the explosion. Police and fire brigade have started a detailed probe in this regard. The exact cause of the fire and the extent of the damage are yet to be ascertained.

Next Story
Share it