Millennium Post

33-year-old woman bleeds to death after delivery

Kolkata: Tension ran high at Jalpaiguri District Hospital on Sunday morning following the death of a 33-year-old woman whose family members staged demonstration inside the hospital campus alleging medical negligence behind her death.
The victim, 33-year-old Bharati Roy, a resident of Berubari area of Jalpaiguri was taken to the Jalpaiguri District Hospital on Thursday morning as she was in labour pain. She gave birth to a boy child at the hospital on Saturday. According to the hospital, surgery was performed.
After the operation, the patient started vomiting from the Saturday evening.
Her relatives alleged that while vomiting, the stitches of the patient somehow tore apart, as a result of which bleeding began from the wounds. It was alleged that on-duty nurses did not take care of the patient as a result of this she continued to bleed for a long time. At around 2 am on Sunday, the family members were informed that the condition of the patient was fast deteriorating.
When some of the relatives went to the department they were told that the patient required some urgent blood transfusion.
The family members also alleged that they were not allowed to visit her as her condition deteriorated. The patient was shifted to the Critical Care Unit (CCU) of the hospital where she died early on Sunday morning.
As the news of her death spread to her family members, they started staging demonstration in front inside the hospital campus alleging negligence in treatment. They alleged that when the patient was bleeding, none of the nurses attended her as a result of which she continued to bleed for a long time which eventually led to her death.
Victim's husband Prakash went to the local police station and lodged a complaint against the hospital authorities.
However, the hospital authorities denied any negligence on their part.
They have, however, assured that a probe will be conducted into the alleged medical negligence. Action will be taken against those who will be found guilty, a hospital official said.
Next Story
Share it