Top
Millennium Post

3 die due to electrocution while fishing in Bishnupur

Kolkata: Three youth were killed due to electrocution while fishing in a pond in South 24-Parganas' Bishnupur police station area on late Monday night.
The incident took place in Mamudpur village of Bishnupur and has triggered tension among
the villagers.
Police said one of the victims Dip Das took a pond on lease for pisciculture. He used to do fishing from the pond and sell them in the local markets.
According to police, Das along with his associates used to often catch fish from the pond during the night.
Like other days, the victim along with two others, whose identities are yet to be ascertained, went to the pond in Mamudpur village on late Monday night.
Police said a halogen light was fitted against a tree near the pond.
Das and his two associates were electrocuted while trying to catch fish. Police suspect that an electrical wire fell into the pond and this led to the incident.
Locals found the victims in the pond and informed the police. They were rushed to Amtala Gramin Hospital where the victims were declared brought dead.
According to hospital sources, the victims died on late Monday night, minutes after they came in contact with the water of the pond.
Police have started a detailed probe in this regard. They are also investigating into how the electrical wire fell in the pond.
Locals have told police that they did not see the other two persons earlier.
They might have been brought to the place from neighbouring village by Das.
Police are trying to confirm their identities.
Police have sent their bodies for the postmortem examination.

Next Story
Share it