Millennium Post

25 injured after buses collide at Mayo Road

Kolkata: At least 25 persons were injured after a collision took place between two buses at Mayo Road on Sunday afternoon. Within five minutes of the accident, police started rescuing the injured passengers and rushed them to SSKM Hospital.

According to sources, on Sunday at around 2:30 pm, a minibus of the Anandapur-Howrah route was going towards Park Street. When the minibus reached Mayo Road in front of Calcutta Sports Journalist Club, a bus from route 52 suddenly applied brake.

It has been alleged that a taxi had stopped in front of the route 52 bus without giving any signal, in order to pick up a passenger.

However, the minibus driver managed to stop the bus by applying emergency brake. But within a few seconds, another bus from route 212 rammed into the back of the minibus, injuring several persons.

Due to the impact, the minibus which had managed to stop, also collided with the bus from route 52. Due to the collision, passengers of the minibus and the bus from route 212 sustained serious injuries.

Several passengers fell down inside the bus, while the heads of some of them rammed into the iron rods of the seats, leading to serious head injuries.

Immediate after the accident, some pedestrians informed police, who soon arrived at the spot with ambulances. Within a few minutes, police recovered the injured passengers who were sitting or lying on the roadside and sent them to SSKM Hospital.

Several injured persons were treated and discharged from the hospital. However, approximately four persons with serious injuries have been admitted.

According to the passengers, the bus from route 212 was moving at a high speed. It is suspected that the driver of the bus from route 212 might have been trying to overtake the minibus in order to compete with it. Till Bijan Setu, both the buses availed the same route.

The drivers and conductors of both the buses fled soon after the incident.

The bus from route 52, which was also damaged partially, left the spot. Police are checking CCTV camera footages to find out what exactly had happened. The owners of the buses will be contacted

as well.

Next Story
Share it