20 shops gutted in New Town fire
Kolkata: At least 20 shops were burnt to ashes after a major fire broke out at a roadside market in New Town on the wee hours of Wednesday. Though the intensity of the fire was quite high, none was injured due to the incident.
According to local residents, around 5 am on Wednesday, residents of canal side of Gouranganagar saw
thick smoke coming out from a shop.
Immediately, the shop owners, police and fire brigade were informed. But before taking steps, the fire started spreading to other shops.
As there was some hotels, LPG cylinders were present inside the shops. As soon as the flames touched the hotels, LPG cylinders started exploding. Local residents claimed that at least three LPG cylinder exploded due to the fire.
Upon receiving the news two fire tenders from Bidhannagar Fire Station were pressed in to action. Later, two more fire tenders were sent from Maniktala and Madhyamgram fire station to douse the fire. As source of water was available from the Bagjola canal, fire fighters had no problem to get water to douse the fire.
But due to the multiple LPG cylinder explosion, it took long time to control the fire.
On Wednesday, early morning fire broke out in some Bagjola Canal side shops made of bamboo shed and tin shed in which approximately 10 shops were completely gutted into fire.
Two fire tenders were deployed and extinguished the fire.
After almost two hours fire was controlled. Later, for almost an hour fire fighters kept on spraying water to douse the fire completely. It is suspected that the fire had occurred due to a short circuit in the electric wires.