Millennium Post

2 fires break out in city, none hurt

Kolkata: Two separate incidents of fire took place in the city on Monday. No casualty or injuries have been reported in the incidents.
A fire broke out inside a plastic godown near Sovabazar Metro station on Monday afternoon triggering tension among locals. People spotted smoke coming out from a godown situated on the ground floor of a two-storeyed, old building on Jagabandhu Modak Road in the Northern fringes of the city.
Initially, people thought the fire might have taken place inside the metro station and people started running from the place.
Later, locals found that a fire broke out inside the godown where a huge amount of inflammable materials were stored.
After being informed, fire officials rushed to the spot. Four fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flames. The fire officials had faced difficulties as the area is congested.
Locals also took part in the rescue operation. The area was soon covered with thick black smoke. According to a press statement issued by the CESC, no fault was found in power supply. Electrical fuses were removed at the service point as a precautionary
measure. According to preliminary investigation, police are not ruling out the possibility of an electrical short circuit which might have caused the fire.
Immediately after the incident police rushed to the spot immediately after the incident and cordoned off the entire area to check any untoward incident.
The fire officials brought the situation under control within two hours. The fire officials also warned that the fire has damaged the old building and it could collapse. Kolkata Municipal Corporation and the fire officials are taking measures to evacuate the surrounding areas to prevent any mishap. The exact cause of the fire and the extent of the damage are yet to be ascertained.
Another incident of fire took place at Calcutta High Court on Monday morning. Some of the staff members of the Calcutta High Court found that smoke was billowing out of the Centenary building at around 9 am on Monday.
Three fire tenders were swung into action to douse the flames that broke out inside room number 28. The fire was brought under control within an hour. According to a fire official, some documents which were inside the room completely gutted. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained. A probe has been initiated in this regard.

Next Story
Share it