2 fire incidents reported in city, no casualties
Kolkata: Tension cropped up at Chowbaga in Anandapur and Motilal Basak Lane in Phoolbagan after two major fire broke out on Monday afternoon. According to sources, on Monday, around 1:30 pm, fire broke out on the roof of a plastic shed where huge quantity of plastic was stored. Local residents saw the smoke and informed Anandapur police station and Pragati Maidan fire brigade.
Four firetenders were pressed into action. However, before firefighters could reach the spot, fire started spreading. When firetenders reached the spot, the fire had already spread to an adjacent building. As the building was being used as a storehouse for plastic materials, situation turned worse. Firefighters started spraying water on the fire but faced a lot difficulties. Meanwhile, one person who was on the ground floor of the building suffered breathlessness due to smoke. Later, two more firetenders were pressed into action and the fire was brought under control around 3 pm.
In a separate incident, a fire broke out at a printing press in Phoolbagan on Monday around 3:15 pm. Local residents saw smoke coming out from under an asbestos shed and informed the police. Later, the police informed fire brigade. As the materials stored there were inflammable, fire had started spreading. Six firetenders were pressed into action. The fire was doused around 4 pm. On Sunday night, another fire broke out at a warehouse where plastic materials were stored at Gopal Chandra Mukherjee Lane in Howrah. Around 2 am, local saw smoke coming out of the warehouse and informed police and fire brigade. Three fire tenders doused the fire within three hours. Locals alleged that the fire broke out after a spark from firecrackers fell on inflammable materials.