Millennium Post

Kabaddi player’s wife left audio, video clips to nail in-laws

A day after a 28-year-old woman, wife of Rohit Chillar, a national-level kabaddi player, committed suicide at her parents’ house in the Nangloi area of West Delhi, senior police officers of the West district shared that they have recovered a two-hour-long audio clip and a 25 to 30-minute-long video clip in which Lalita, the victim, has elaborated the ordeal she was put through by Rohit and his parents.

Talking to Millennium Post, Dependra Pathak, Joint Commissioner of Police (South-western range) said: “We have recovered a two-hour-long audio clip and a 30-minute-long video clip. In the 2-hour-long clip, Lalita had mentioned that last Saturday, Rohit came to her parents house and they had a heated argument. In that moment of anger, he dragged Lalita out from the house and also thrashed her and created a scene following which she was upset.”

Lalita has left behind sufficient series of evidence due to which we have booked Rohit and his parents under Section 498A(Husband or relative of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) and 304B (dowry death) of the Indian Penal Code against Rohit and his parents at the Nangloi police station.

Police, meanwhile, added that both Rohit and his parents are absconding. Another investigating officer said: “Lalita met Rohit at her college some time back where he used to attend swimming classes. They became friends. In March this year, they got married. Post marriage, Rohit’s attitude towards her changed. Since Lalita had a comparatively modern approach towards life, she used to find her in-laws practise of asking her to cover her head with pallu (part of the saree used to cover a bride’s head) a little distressing.”

The officer added: “Apart from this, the audio and video clips both mention that Lalita was reeling under a lot of stress and mental torture was inflicted on her by her husband and his parents.”

Police said that the incident came to light at around 7.30 pm on Monday when Lalita’s father, who was sitting with his wife on the ground floor went upstairs to call on Lalita. Lalita had been living with her parents for the last fortnight, said a relative.

Sushil Malik, Lalita’s brother-in-law said: “Lalita went to the first floor, saying that she will clean the room as Diwali was round the corner. Some time passed. When she did not came back, my father-in-law, Karan Singh, went upstairs. Since the door was locked from inside, he somehow managed to open the door and found Lalita hanging from the ceiling fan.”
Next Story
Share it