Millennium Post

JNU campus shocker: Student axes classmate, commits suicide

A 23-year-old  student of graduate programme in Korean Language of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) on Wednesday attacked his 22-year-old woman friend with a cleaver and thereafter committed suicide on the campus. The girl has been kept under observation in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Safdarjung hospital.
The incident occurred at around 11.30 am in classroom number 213 of the School Of Languages. The victim, identified as Roshni, was sitting inside, when Akash entered the room. He asked Roshni to come out with him, but when she refused he attacked her with a cleaver.

Few of their classmates who were present inside the classroom started screaming after the incident and Akash pointed a country-made pistol at them. He warned them not to intervene in the matter. He tried to open fire but failed. After this, he consumed poison and slit his wrist with the same cleaver.
 Both of them hail from Bihar. The accused allegedly suspected that Roshni was having an affair with someone else. To clarify his suspicion Akash wanted to have a word with Roshni but when she refused to come out with him, he got into a murderous rage.
‘The incident was reported to the police at 11:34 am. In the initial investigation it seems that the accused had planned the murder beforehand as he came armed with the cleaver, a knife and a country-made pistol,’ police officials said.

According to the police, the girl’s ear was cut off in the attack from the cleaver. The duo were rushed to the nearby hospitals. After two hours, Akash was rushed to All India Institute of Medical Sciences Trauma Center but he died due to poisoning. Roshni, who was taken to the Safdarjung Hospital, remained critical. She underwent five surgeries in the hospital including one for injuries in the head.
‘Akash was brought at 12:08 pm and died at 1:15 pm.

The suspected cause of death is poisoning,’ said an AIIMS doctor. ‘We have recovered a country-made pistol, a bottle of
poisonous substance and the cleaver from the crime scene. We have taken the statements of the eye-witnesses,’ the police officer said.

A fact-finding committee, comprising professors from the university, has been formed and it has to submit its report to the police. However, the university staff remained unavailable for comments.
Next Story
Share it