ITI student lynching: Mamata Banerjee orders CID probe

 This comes on the day the police arrested the prime accused of the ITI student murder case and his close aide from Duttapukur in North 24-Parganas when he was on the run. The arrest came three days after the incident.

The prime accused Tapas Mallick is one of the 10 FIR named accused in connection with the murder of the 23-year-old Kaushik Purakayat who was beaten to death on mere suspicion of stealing a buffalo. The pressure demanding arrest of the prime accused was building up on the police in the past two days with local people staging repeated agitation in the area.

Mallick was absconding since the next morning of the incident.  Police had found the cell phone of Mallick in a switched off mode and had made the task of the police a bit tough as they couldn't track his phone number. Later police had tracked mobile phones of some of his close associates and relatives.

On Thursday evening the investigating officers had come to know about a telephonic conversation between Mallick and one of his relatives.  Mallick had used a new cell phone number to contact his relative. Further tracking of the number showed that he was moving towards North 24-Parganas from Kolkata, where he was hiding for the past two days.

Three teams comprising policemen were formed and sent to three different places. One of the team had received information that Mallick planned to escape to Bangladesh from a transit point in North 24-Parganas.

Senior police officers of the district were alerted and checking on all the routes leading to the transit points had started.

The police checked each and every vehicle that passed through the area. Finally at around 1 am police stopped a Tata Sumo at the checking point at Bamungachi near Duttapukur. The on duty policemen found the face of the person in the car resembles that of the photograph of Mallick. 

They took him and his close aide Billu Ghorui, who was driving the car, to Dutta Pukur police station.
Officers from Diamond Harbour police station went to Dutta Pukur and brought him to Diamond Harbour.

The lawyers in Diamond Harbour Sub-divisional Court refused to move for the prime accused and his close aide. They even prayed for police custody of the accused supporting the plea of the state's counsel. The Court remanded both of them in police custody for 13 days.

Police had arrested four persons in this connection earlier. All were remanded in the custody of the police when produced before the Court on Wednesday.  A senior police officer said that all the six accused will be questioned face to face to get information about rest of the four FIR named accused, who are still at large.

The victim's family members demanded maximum punishment of the accused so that no one attempts to kill another youth. CID officials visited the houses of the accused and the victim on Friday.  They also took the case diary from the investigating officer from the nearby police station. 
Local people expressed satisfaction with the action taken so far.


Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it