Roadside bombs kill 6 Afghan kids
KABUL: Roadside bombs killed four young girls and two schoolboys in Afghanistan on Thursday while a police inspector was gunned down on her way to work, officials said. The girls, aged 10 to 12 years, had been sent by their families to a river to fetch some water for a wedding that was being held in a home on the outskirts of the provincial capital of Lashkar Gah, Helmand governor’s spokesman Ummar Zawaq said. The bomb went off alongside a footpath through a field the girls had taken to make their way back home, Zawaq said. Also in Lashkar Gah on Thursday morning, two gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire on a female police inspector who was being taken to work by her son-in-law on his motorcycle, Zawaq said. Inspector Islam Bibi was rushed to the hospital with her wounds but died there.
UAE to set up centre for male victims of sex trafficking
Abu Dhabi: The UAE will soon set up a centre for adult male victims of human trafficking and sexual abuse. The new centre will be supervised by the Ewa’a Shelter for Women and Children in Abu Dhabi. Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, chairman of the UAE Red Crescent Authority, issued a resolution for establishing the centre. Sheikh Hamdan said the UAE has launched several initiatives to combat human trafficking. He said the move was part of the country’s commitment to putting an end to the ‘trans-border inhuman crime’ and provide a safe shelter.
Landslides, floods kill 50, displace 12,000 in Nepal
KATHMANDU: At least 50 people have been killed and 12,000 others displaced across Nepal due tolandslides and floods triggered by incessant rainover the past three weeks, the government said on Thursday. ‘Landslides and floods have so far killed 50 people in different parts of the country,’ a home ministry statement said. 19 people are still missing and efforts to rescue them have so far failed, an official at the ministry said. The southern plains and the western hill areas have been mainly affected by the natural disaster during this monsoon season. Nearly 12,000 people have been displaced and some 900 houses have been completely destroyed by the
disaster, the ministry said.
Death toll from Indonesian earthquake shoots up to 30
Blang Mancung: The death toll from an earthquake that hit Indonesia’s Aceh province earlier this week has reached 30, and police and soldiers are searching the debris for another 12 people believed missing, officials said today. National Disaster Mitigation Agency said the main focus of recovery efforts was to search for more victims, assist the injured.