Millennium Post

How unsafe was Delhi

How unsafe was Delhi

A two-year-old girl, named Baby Falak by a nurse, was admitted to AIIMS Trauma centre by a teenaged girl, who claimed to be her mother. Baby Falak was admitted with a fractured skull, broken arms, human bite marks all over her body and cheeks branded by a hot iron. All through her journey at the hospital, she suffered from irregular heartbeat, and finally, breathed her last on 15 March.

On 1 February, Delhi police traced Baby Falak’s biological mother, Munni, hailing from Bihar. Two siblings were also discovered and it came to light that her husband had left her. Later, Munni married a man in Rajasthan. Falak was passed from one person to another, before she finally reached the hands of the teenaged girl, who brought her to AIIMS.

Ten people were arrested in the case, including  Rajkumar alias Mohammad Dilshad.

He was the man who had abandoned the baby. The teenaged girl  was booked for culpable homicide not amounting to murder.. The women involved in the trafficking, Lakshmi and Kanti Choudhry, were also arrested.


On 13 February in the afternoon, four people, including Tal Yehoshua Koren, 42, wife of Israeli defence attache Colonel Yossi Refaelov were injured in a bomb explosion in a car. The incident took place at 3.20 pm at Aurangzeb road crossing, 300 metres away from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s official residence in 7, Race Course Road. Tal Yehoshua Koren suffered multiple injuries in the blast. She was later flown to Israel.

A motorcycle-borne youth trailed the embassy vehicle and managed to put the bomb near the fuel tank of the Innova car. Within a few minutes, the car burst into flames. On 7 March, an Indian journalist, Syed Mohammed Kazmi, 50, who claimed to work for an Iranian news organisation, was arrested for being involved in the Israeli embassy attack. He is a resident of BK Dutt Colony in south Delhi.

Chargesheet was filed against Iranian nationals Houshang Afshar Irani, Masod Sedaghatzadeh, Syed Ali Mehdi Sadr and Mohammed Reza Abolghasemi as suspects. Kazmi was charged under various provisions of the anti-terror law, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), and the penal provisions for attempt to murder, among others.


On 21 June, Abu Hamza alias Sayed Zabiuddin, popularly known as Abu Jundal was deported from Saudi Arabia. On 25 June, he was handed was handed over to Delhi police.

During interrogation, Jundal admitted his active role in the 26/11 Mumbai attack, saying he worked in close tandem with the mastermind, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi. He also admitted that he was present in the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT)  control room in Karachi, giving direction to the 10 terrorists who carried out the strike. Jundal is an accused in several other cases, such as the Ahmedabad railway station blast case of 19 February 2006, the Aurangabad Arms Haul case of May 2006 and the German Bakery blast case.


On 18 July, a dalit worker at the Maruti Suzuki plant in Manesar, Gurgaon, alleged that his supervisor in the company made castiest remarks against him. The situation got violent after other workers came out in support of the victim. The violence led to a fire at the Maruti premises.

General Manager (Human Resource) of Maruti Suzuki, Awnish Kumar Dev, lost his life in the ensuing turmoil at the plant. Forty-year-old Dev was a resident of Malviya Nagar in Delhi.

Around 85 people were injured in the mob. This included three Japanese and nine policemen. At the time when the negotiation was being carried out in the administration office, union leaders and workers started beating up the management. Their main targets were the managers, executives and supervisors. Unfortunately GM Awnish Kumar Dev was brutally beaten up. A Japanese plant manager, Saijio, and an advisor, Tori, were also present in the conference room and were targeted by the workers.

After three months, the production restarted at Maruti Suzuki’s Manesar plant under heavy security.

Sources said the management, as a disciplinary action, decided to suspend the worker. This reportedly triggered protests from the other workers. While the management was meeting in the conference room to decide on the next move, sources add that the workers stormed in and a scuffle ensued.

At around the same time in the evening, a section of the workers set five places in the factory on fire, including the control room and the assembly line. A charred body was later recovered from the site of the violence, something that was later confirmed by the police. ‘One person died of burn injuries in the incident,’ Gurgaon Police Commissioner K K Sindhu said. The company had, in a statement issued on Wednesday evening, alleged that the workers ‘set fire to property and damaged facilities’, adding that ‘at least 40 managers and executives’ were injured, and were ‘rushed to hospital.’ It also claimed that as part of their protest, the workers prevented all executives and managers from leaving the factory after working hours. They blocked the exit gates and held the executives hostage, it said.


On 5 August, a case of abetting to suicide was registered against Haryana politician Gopal Kanda, after a 23-year-old former air hostess, Geetika Sharma, committed suicide in Ashok Vihar in Delhi on Sunday. Her suicide note mentioned Kanda’s name.

The police recovered a suicide note from Sharma’s room, where she was found hanging from a ceiling fan. The note blamed Kanda and Aruna Chadha, a manager in MDLR Airlines, as the persons responsible for forcing her to take the extreme step.

After a high voltage drama that lasted for 10 days, Kanda surrendered before police. Kanda and Chadha were booked for criminal intimidation and abetment to suicide.

Ankita Singh’s name was also mentioned in the suicide note written by Geetika, who alleged that Ankita was having an illicit relationship with Kanda, and also had a girl child from him. She resides in Singapore.


On 3 September, after a boy in his early 20s was critically injured in an accident, when cops tried to stop him near the barricading in Mayur Vihar Phase-3 area, a mob set a CNG petrol pump, a police booth, three bikes, a DTC bus and a mini truck on fire. A person was killed and 39, including 35 police personnel, were injured in the ensuing violence.

Around 9 pm, a few people collected on the Khoda Road and suddenly started pelting stones on police personnel deployed there. ‘They tried to mar the peace in the area,’ said a senior police officer.

Large-scale violence erupted in the area, resulting in the death of a 26-year-old man in police firing, and injuries to several others. Security was immediately stepped up in the area.

Meanwhile, 13 people were arrested in connection with the rioting. A senior police official said two cases of arson, rioting and attempt to murder cases were registered in New Ashok Nagar and Ghazipur police stations and 13 people - nine in New Ashok Nagar, and four in Ghazipur - were also arrested.


On 4 September, a 23-year-old BBA student’s headless body was found chopped in 16 pieces on a railway track. The deceased was identified as Paras Bhasin, a tattoo artist, who was married to one Shaliy Mittal in a secret ceremony, against her parents’ wishes.

After 10 days of investigation by Crime branch, the case that appeared to be of murder, took a u-turn after the post-mortem report of Paras confirmed that his body was crushed due to the impact of a heavy material (train), and was not chopped. In the forensic report, no such evidence was found from the crime scene.


On 28 September, around 1 pm, five armed assailants, who were reported to be professional criminals, robbed a cash van of a private bank off Rs 5.25 crore at gunpoint.

The guard of the van, Munna Singh, was shot at. He later succumbed to his injuries at a city hospital. The incident took place in D-Block of Defence Colony.

The robbers parked their stolen Hyundai Verna with the number plate HR26-A-Q0051 outside the Nature’s Basket showroom in the Defence Colony area. The moment a Maruti Eeco cash van of ICICI Bank came from the service lane, Verna blocked its way. Two robbers with arms came out of their car and dragged the cash van driver out on the road.

All the accused were arrested and Rs 4.09 crore was recovered by the police.


On 23 October, Akansha Rathi, daughter-in-law of the owner of Rathi Iron and Steel, apparently committed suicide by hanging herself with a ceiling fan in Dwarka. A dowry harassment complaint against her in-laws was lodged by Akansha a week before she committed suicide.

Reportedly, she was depressed over her husband’s mysterious death last month. She had moved to her parents’ house without reportedly informing her in-laws.


On 17 November, Ponty Chadha, a liquor baron, was killed along with his brother Hardeep when both sides opened fire at each other at a farmhouse in south Delhi’s Chhattarpur area,  following a dispute over ownership of the property.

During the incident, Sukhdev Singh Namdhari, sacked Uttarakhand minority panel chief, was accompanied by Ponty Chadha in the latter’s Land Cruiser. Namdhari was also arrested from his farmhouse in Uttarakhand, where he was hiding. He was booked under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), among others, of Indian Penal Code.
Next Story
Share it