Millennium Post

Hearing adjourned in Mumbai photojournalist gangrape case

Hearing adjourned in Mumbai photojournalist gangrape case
A local court on Tuesday adjourned the hearing in the photojournalist gangrape case till tomorrow to allow the defence to approach Bombay high court against the prosecution move to frame charges against three convicts under a new section that carries death penalty for repeat offence.

The defence has sought to challenge framing of fresh charges under IPC Section 376(E) against three convicts who have been found guility in another gangrape case at Shakti Mills Compound, where both crimes were committed last year.

The stringent section was added after the December 2012 Delhi gangrape case as part of the Centre's move to make anti-rape laws tough.

‘It is a question of someone’s life and death. We request the honorable court to adjourn the case till tomorrow,’ pleaded defence lawyer Prakash Salsingikar before Principal Sessions Judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi.

However, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said the case should not be adjourned just to allow the defence to move the high court.

‘The defence (today) morning said they are moving the High Court in the first session itself but they did not do so. This is nothing but delaying tactics,’ said Nikam.

Salsingikar cited technical difficulties in moving the HC today. The Judge adjourned the hearing but took an oral undertaking that defence will go ahead with the matter from Wednesday.
Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top