Millennium Post

HC dismisses pleas challenging DU admission process

The Delhi high court on Friday dismissed a batch of pleas by students of various state boards, challenging Delhi University’s cut-off calculation and seeking a uniform admission process. “Petitions dismissed,” Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw said.

The court, however, extended till July 20 the interim relief granted to six students, whose admission to Miranda House was cancelled, after they were issued identity cards by the college. The court had earlier granted an interim order in favour of the six students by asking the college to keep six seats vacant.

The students, in their pleas, had sought a uniform system of admission, including calculation of cut-offs, saying that there was always a difference of 2-3 per cent in the best-of-four marks calculated by each college in any given case of students from other state boards. They had claimed that the deduction of 10 per cent in case of students from state boards was unfair.

Students from states such as Kerala, Punjab, Rajasthan and Haryana had challenged a DU circular, which stated that all discipline subjects must have at least 70 per cent component as theory, which does not include internal assessment or continuous evaluation.

Under the CBSE pattern of exams, there is 70:30 ratio of theory and practical, while in state boards the evaluation system is that 20 per cent will be given for internal assessment, 20 per cent for practical and 60 per cent for theory/written exam, their petitions have said. “Thus, even if a student has obtained 100 per cent marks, he will be evaluated only on 60 per cent written exam, excluding marks obtained in practical test, which is an integral part of the exams,” the students had said.
MPost

MPost

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top