Millennium Post

Gunners shot at emirates!

Bayern Munich loaded fresh misery onto beleaguered Arsenal with a 3-1 win at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday that left them with one foot in the Champions League quarterfinals.

Seeking a reaction after Saturday’s shock FA Cup exit at the hands of second-tier Blackburn Rovers, Arsenal were instead soundly beaten by a Bayern side desperate to atone for last season’s Champions League final heartache.

Bayern, runaway leaders in the Bundesliga, bossed the first half of the last 16 first leg, and went in 2-0 up at half-time through goals from Toni Kroos and Thomas Mueller.

Lukas Podolski replied early in the second half, breaching his former club’s defence for the first time in 2013, but Mario Mandzukic struck late on to put Bayern firmly in control ahead of the second leg on March 13.

‘We put in an outstanding performance over a long period of time against one of the top teams in Europe,’ Kroos told German television channel Sky.

With defeat, Arsenal’s hopes of ending an eight-year trophy drought recede still further, and although Bayern will be without the suspended Bastian Schweinsteiger in the second leg, with three away goals, they may not miss him.

‘In the second half, we stepped it up and it’s unfortunate we didn’t do that in the first half,’ Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere said.

‘I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s a bit of nerves or anxiety, because we show what we can do when we play. We will look at it and try to put it right.’

Arsenal last won a trophy in 2005 the FA Cup the same year when Bayern knocked them out of Champions League football.


Joao Moutinho’s second-half goal was enough to give Porto a 1-0 win over Malaga in a cagey first-leg at the Estadio do Dragao on Tuesday.

The hosts dominated the opening period but failed to create a clear opening until six minutes after the break when Alex Sandro’s fine pass was swept past Willy Caballero first-time by Moutinho, although replays showed the Portuguese international may have been in an offside position.

Porto were then happier to hold on to their advantage than go in search of a second, and with Malaga unable to muster any sort of response, the tie is delicately balanced heading into the return at La Rosaleda in three weeks’ time.

‘Whether it is a good result or not we will see at the end of 180 minutes,’ Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini told Spanish TV station TVE.

‘To lose is never good but losing by just the one goal is the best thing we can take from the game.

Porto boss Vitor Pereira meanwhile was much happier with his men but lamented not killing the tie off with a second goal.

‘We played a complete game, we dominated and pressed them which is what I like to see,’ he said.
Next Story
Share it