Millennium Post

Gunners shoot Coventry City

Gunners shoot Coventry City
Olivier Giroud ended his Arsenal goal drought as the Gunners swept into the League Cup fourth round with a 6-1 demolition of Coventry at the Emirates Stadium on  Wednesday.

Giroud had gone six matches without scoring following his pre-season move from Montpellier, but the France striker was finally on the scoresheet with the first goal of  Arsenal’s emphatic third round win.

Even though he netted his long-awaited first Arsenal goal, it was still a far from convincing evening for Giroud who wasted a chance to double his goal tally when his second  half penalty was saved.

Arsenal were still far too strong for League One strugglers Coventry and further goals from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andrey Arshavin, Ignasi Miquel and Theo Walcott, who  struck twice, emphasised the hosts’ superiority.

By the time Callum Ball scored for Coventry late in the second half, there was no way back for Mark Robins’ side.

It could have been different if Stephen Elliott had converted a great chance to open the scoring for the visitors in the early stages.

But Giroud finally delivered in the 39th minute as he beat the offside trap and kept  his composure to chip over the onrushing Joe Murphy.

Meanwhile, Anderson and Tom Cleverley scored rare goals to ensure Manchester United progressed to the League Cup fourth round with a 2-1 win over Newcastle at Old Trafford  on Wednesday.

United striker Wayne Rooney made his return from a thigh injury, but it was a pair of less prolific stars who delivered for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side in this third round tie. Brazilian midfielder Anderson scored his first goal since October 1 last year  and only his eighth in six seasons at Old Trafford  to put United ahead just before the break.

And England midfielder Cleverley doubled United’s lead when he claimed his first goal for the club in the second half.

Papiss Demba Cisse pulled one back with his first of the season, but Newcastle couldn’t complete their fightback.

Wayne Rooney, who sustained a deep gash to his thigh in the 3-2 win over Fulham in August, came through 76 minutes against Alan Pardew’s  side, producing an impressive performance. Ferguson said: ‘Tonight we won with a good bit of style, they’ve enjoyed it and the players did well.’
Next Story
Share it