Govt rejects BJP’s demand to recall advt for Lokpal posts
The Centre on Sunday rejected BJP’s demand to withdraw the advertisement inviting applications for the posts of chairman and members of anti-corruption body Lokpal, saying ‘everything was done as per procedure’.
‘There is nothing wrong in the advertisement.The Ministry of Personnel has notified the rules and everything was done as per procedure,’ Union Minister V Narayanasamy told a news agency here.
Asked about questions raised by opposition leader Arun Jaitley and social activists on legality of the advertisement, Narayanasamy said, ‘He (Jaitley) has raised the matter with the Prime Minister. The PM is the head of Lokpal Selection Committee. He will respond in the matter.’
The Ministry of Personnel had put out an advertisement in newspapers around a week ago calling applications from eligible candidates for chairperson and eight members of Lokpal by February 7.
Jaitley had accused the government of ‘usurping’ powers of the Selection Committee, and demanded withdrawal of the ‘illegal’ advertisement.
‘The executive government has no role to perform in this.
Notwithstanding this position, the Department of Personnel and Training has usurped the power of the Selection Committee which is still to be fully constituted,’ Jaitley had said.
‘...in any case, whether applications are to be invited or not has to be decided by the Selection Committee.
The Union Government is wholly alien to this power. The advertisement issued in this regard is contrary to the provisions of the Act. The advertisement which is illegal requires to be withdrawn,’ he added.
Narayanasamy, who is the Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, had earlier said the selection process for Lokpal would be completed soon.
‘The process has started. After receiving applications for chairperson and members, the government will complete the selection process soon,’ the minister had said.