Home > Kolkata > furniture godown catches fire on Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road

furniture godown catches fire on Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road

 M Post Bureau |  2016-02-01 00:53:26.0  |  Kolkata

furniture godown catches fire on Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road

A fire broke out at a furniture godown on the first floor of a multi-storey building on Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road on Sunday afternoon triggering panic in the area. 

After getting information, seven fire tenders swung into action to douse the flame. However, no casualty has been reported. The godown was completely damaged in the fire. The firefighters brought the situation under control after around one hour. 

According to preliminary investigation, fire department officials suspect that the building did not have proper fire-fighting machinery. The Kolkata Municipal Corporation and Fire and Services Department are yet to ascertain the whether it had the fire safety clearance. 

The fire was first spotted by local residents at around 3 pm. The residents alleged that fire tenders could not reach the spot in time. There were several private offices on the first floor of the building and Sunday, being a holiday, many of the offices were closed. The local people said the furniture godown caught fire and it later spread in the adjacent room. The entire building was evacuated during the rescue operation. The incident did not have much impact on the traffic movement as it was a Sunday. 

Fire department suspected that there were some inflammable substances stored inside the godown. Electrical short circuit might have caused the fire, primary investigation reveals. The fire department is yet to ascertain the exact cause behind the incident and the extent of damage. Police have started an investigation into the matter.

Share it
Top